Sunday, August 31, 2014

Happy Birthday Brendon!!

I always get a little choked up on Brendon’s birthday as we sing Happy Birthday to him. I can’t help but think about all the years I longed for a child to celebrate a birthday with. And I can’t help but think about what his life may have been like if he wasn’t part of our family. I think about his biological mother and wonder if she remembers that it’s his birthday. 

For years I longed for a child, begged God to grow our family. I remember our first year with Brendon celebrating his birthday. He had only been with our family for a month when his birthday arrived. It sort of became his “coming out party” with our family. I remember him turning and looking at me and saying “who are all these presents for?” I said, “they are for you!” He was so excited and so appreciative of everything. He was so loved on that day (and still is)! And Jimmy and I brimmed with thankfulness. Thankful to our families for loving this little boy so much and mostly thankful to God for allowing us to care for him. 

I always seem to reflect on Brendon’s biological mother on his birthday too. I wonder what she’s doing, if she celebrates his birthday in her own way. I wonder if she reflects on his birth like most birth mothers do. I always say a prayer of thanks for her, especially on Brendon’s birthday. I thank God that she was somehow guided to chose life for this child. I thank God that she allowed us to become Brendon’s parents.

Brendon may not have come into our family the traditional way, not even a traditional adoption, but he’s my child, forever. And I’m so thankful to celebrate his life, especially on his birthday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment