Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tips and Tricks for the Vera Bradley Outlet Sale

Let me preface this post with a few facts:
  •  2013 was my first year to attend the sale. I attended with several veterans.
  •  I love Vera!
  •  Vera Bradley isn't paying me to write this. But I’d certainly welcome it if they saw fit!

I’m headed to the Vera Bradley Outlet Sale (VBOS14) this coming Saturday, April 12th. I live in Northern Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati, Ohio, and we will drive up Saturday morning and come home Saturday night.  I’m attending with several friends and family members. Last year I attended my first VBOS. My friends and family had been going for several years so I was with people who knew the ropes.

For those reading who don’t even know what I’m talking about, let me explain. Vera Bradley, a handbag, luggage, accessory, etc. company based in Fort Wayne, Indiana hosts an annual outlet sale where they sell inventory at reduced prices. Vera Bradley’s lines consist of colorful, quilted patterns in a wide array of sizes, styles and uses. They have everything from eyeglass cases to paperclips and every type of handbag and luggage you could possibly ever need! Their products are popular with all ages! Their annual sale typically consists of current and retired patterns and styles at very reduced prices. Some styles may only be available in one or two colors. So you can’t go expecting to come away with a matching set of luggage, handbags and accessories.

I love Vera and have for about 15 years. Their bags and accessories are great and last for years. I don’t think I’ve ever thrown one away and I’m pretty hard on my purses. Most can be laundered in a washing machine.

Now for my tips and tricks for those attending the sale:
  1.  I’ve never attended the part of the sale for which you purchase a ticket. And I still feel like there was plenty to pick from and plenty of good deals. I’m not telling anyone not to buy a ticket. But I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to get good deals.
  2. Don’t forget to register. You must register online before the sale. Don’t forget to print your registration and take it with you. If you do, there are kiosks available to guests to print out registrations.
  3. Take a photo ID. You have to have this to check out! If you have a Mini Hipster, there’s a special little pocket for it! The Mini Hipster is my favorite bag to carry to events like this! More on that in #4!
  4. Don’t take a big purse! All you need is money, keys, ID and your phone! A big purse will just get in the way.
  5. Don’t take little kids or strollers. No offense to those with little ones but this is just not the place for them. I saw a lost child last year and it broke my heart. There are just too many people there. And trying to navigate a stroller through there is just about impossible. Find a sitter, leave them with Dad. Just don’t take them to VBOS14.
  6. On a similar note, don’t take a wheelchair. There’s just not room to navigate it. Ladies, if you are in a wheelchair, send your friends and tell them what you want.
  7. Wear comfortable shoes. I don’t think I really need to explain this.
  8. Have a buddy. Last year my best friend and I stayed together at the sale. It helped because we could both look for a certain size or color of something. She’s also taller than me so she could see the price signs better because she could see over everyone! I’m short so I could crawl under the table and look in the boxes! We’re a good pair! 

  9. If you go with a big group, don’t try to stay together. You are all looking for different things and move at a different pace. Pick one person and stay with them. Don’t try to keep a group of 10 together. You’ll all be frustrated.
  10. Be prepared to be there for four or five hours. I think it took us about three to four hours to get through the actual sale. And we waited about 15 minutes to get in to the sale and another 15 minutes to check out. Sometimes the wait to get and to check out takes longer.
  11. Some people advise you to bring snacks. I’m not a fan of this because you’ll need to carry a bigger purse. Eat a snack before you go in and then plan to eat a meal when you leave. There are plenty of restaurants near the venue.
  12. As you go through the sale, pick up anything you think you might want. You can always put it back later. If you don’t get it the first time you see it, it might not be there when you go back. Last year they had price scanners throughout the venue so you could check a price. This helps when making final decisions about your purchases.
  13. Have fun!! Enjoy the day with your friends and get cute stuff at great prices.
If you’ve never been to the VBOS it’s hard to imagine just how big it is. Memorial Coliseum, where the sale takes place, posted this brief video on Instagram to give you an idea of the size of the sale. It’s rows and rows of cute stuff!

I hope you have fun at VBOS14!!

Love,

Jennifer
The ride there!

The loot!

We're done!

1 comment:

  1. You have some great suggestions! Since I have attended previous years, I might also add that when the line to get in is long, they have snack vendors and port-a-potties for your convenience.

    ReplyDelete