Saturday, July 7, 2012

Adventures in Laundry

For a family of three we have a ton of laundry. I can't imagine how larger families keep up! Anywho, our laundry started having a funky smell this week and I remembered that I'd pinned (on Pinterest, of course) something about washing your washing machine. It's Saturday and I had time so I thought I'd try it out.


Wow! My washer was gross! I did exactly as the post suggests (except I used bleach tablets) and it really worked! I don't use a lot of bleach around the house so I usually buy a bottle of bleach tablets and use those when I need bleach. I used three tablets rather than the quart suggested in the post. It seemed to do the trick!


While I'm on the subject of laundry, I'll share my homemade laundry detergent recipe. It's not really mine. Hundreds of other people on the internet have posted the same one but I use it and love it. It's very simple.


Ingredients:

  • 1 Bar Fels Naptha soap (can purchase at any major retailer like Walmart or Kroger)
  • 1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (NOT the same as baking soda)
  • 1 cup Borax

I bought all three items today at Walmart. The soap was less than $1 and the other two items weren't more than $4 each (for a whole box which will make quite a few batches).


Directions:
Grate the soap. I use a cheese grater. Or I should say "used" a cheese grater until the husband saw me using it for soap and was grossed out! It's just soap!


Mix the grated soap with the Borax and Super Washing Soda and you've got your detergent!


I use 1 to 2 tablespoons per load.* I always turn the water on, put the detergent in and let it sit for a couple of minutes before putting the laundry in. I noticed a white film on my black pants one time when I added the detergent after the clothes. I think the detergent just didn't dissolve the same. *I have a top load washing machine.


This detergent doesn't smell like detergent. It just smells clean! And it's cheap and easy to make!





No comments:

Post a Comment